Tasmania_B&W 1

Can't resist putting up some of the Tasmania trip in black & white versions ... 

The odd thing is that when I made images in the analogue / film days, if the camera was loaded with B&W film, I only thought in B&W terms ... i.e.. tonal and structural relationships ... 

If I wanted to make images in colour it was a completely different thinking process due to the more 'psychological' relationships you can explore in colour and the fact that colour relationships can work in significantly different ways to tonal ones ... the strange thing was I remember being able to 'switch modes' quite easily, even if the main focus of the day was working in large format B&W materials, I could pick up a 35 mm SLR loaded with transparency material, and immediately switch to 'colour mode' ...

In the digital world, I find it harder to separate these functions and find I mostly think in terms of colour relationships .. especially given the colour preview on the camera... non film people (ie. the younger ones) ... often struggle with the idea that in film days, there was no preview ... you just had to get it right! 
I also find that the B&W side only comes out later in the editing  process ... maybe Leica have got it right making a dedicated B&W digital camera ? ...
Does anyone else feel this way?...




Comments

Popular Posts